WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS TRACK & FIELD OFFICIALS ASSOCIATION
NATE HALE AWARD / VINCENT FALARDEAU AWARD
* Outstanding Senior Male / FemaleTrack & Field Athlete *
ABOUT NATE HALE: Nate Hale taught General Science and Agriculture at Arms Academy and Mohawk Trail Regional High School. He was instrumental in starting Cross-Country in Franklin County and Western Mass. He was also one of the founders of the WMTFOA. Nate Hale stressed sportsmanship and fair play in athletics. He encouraged his athletes to act responsibly, assist their teammates, and always lead by example. Candidates for this award should also demonstrate these qualities.
ABOUT VINCENT FALRDEAU: Vincent Falardeau taught Foreign Languages at Northampton High School from 1968 to 2004. He was a track and field official for thirty-four years and served as the WMTFOA President for ten years. In addition to officiating Vincent was an active participant in wheelchair sports and the Paralympics and gave freely of his time to mentor track and field officials. Vincent also served as the Chairperson of the Holyoke Handicap Advisory Committee. Vincent Falardeau stressed sportsmanship and fair play in athletics. He encouraged athletes to act responsibly, assist their teammates, and always lead by example. Candidates for this award should also demonstarte these qualities.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE: Any senior male / female athlete who has competed in track and field for at least 2 years.
REQUIREMENTS: All candidates must demonstrate good sportsmanship. Each should be a leader on the team and possess a good work ethic. Each must always represent himself, his school and the sport of track and field in a positive manner.
A COMPLETE NOMINATION INCLUDES:
• Completed Athlete Information sheet (see below) • HS transcript
• Athlete essay • Letter(s) of reference from coaches, teachers, counselor, principal or employer.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Submissions must be received by: FRIDAY, MAY 12th @ 5:00pm
Send to: Deb Pelletier PO Box 2238 Westfield, MA 01086 Fax # 413-572-6873
Direct questions and/or PDF files to: CoachPell@comcast.net
WMTFOA NATE HALE / VINCENT FALARDEAU AWARD INFORMATION SHEET (To be completed by coach)
ATHLETE’S INFORMATION: Name: _______________________________________________________________________________
Number of years on your track team: __________________________________ Captain?: ______________________________________
Outstanding contribution(s) to the team: ______________________________________________________________________________
Academic achievement: Honor Society?: _______________________Class Rank: ________________________ GPA: ________________
Academic Honors and Awards: _____________________________________________________________________________________
School and Community Involvement: Clubs / Committees / Sports / Volunteer Work / Community Service: ____________________________
COACH'S INFORMATION: Name: ___________________________________ Address: ______________________________________
City: ___________________________ State: ________________ Zip: ___________ Phone: _________________________
Please attach the following information:
• HS transcript
• Reference (s) Must be Typed – from coach, teacher, principal, councilor or employer. Remember it is helpful to include: # years on Track and Field team, positive personal traits, community service, academic achievements (honor society, class rank, GPA), clubs and interests outside of track and field, and any other qualities you feel makes him/her deserving of this award.
• Athlete’s Essay: Must be typed. Please submit a one-page (maximum) essay describing how track and field has influenced your life. Also include school and community involvement and how these experiences have influenced you.